This is the official A Sea of Blue open game thread for the Mississippi Rebels @ Kentucky Wildcats today in the Georgia Dome, 2011 SEC Tournament quarterfinal round.
Details as follows, courtesy of UKAthletics.com:
|Ole Miss @ Kentucky|
|Game Notes||Kentucky Game Notes|
|Date & Time||Fri., Mar. 11, 3:30 p.m. ET|
|Coverage||TV: SEC Network |
Live Video via ESPN3
|Location||Georgia Dome |
The Rebels got to this game by defeating the South Carolina Gamecocks yesterday in the first round, 66-55. Kentucky was fortunate enough to win itself into a bye situation and did not have to play the first round, so they should be fully rested and ready for this game.
For the Rebel perspective on today's game, be sure and visit SBNation's Ole Miss blog, Red Cup Rebellion.
Keys to the game for Kentucky:
- Physicality. The Wildcats must match the Rebel's physical defense. It was this characteristic that largely undid the Wildcats in Oxford.
- Good shooting. Teams have struggled to shoot in the Georgia Dome, and if Kentucky wants to win this game, thy have to find a way to make open shots.
- Defend Chris Warren. Chris Warren is one of those players who can beat you by himself. But Kentucky already knows that, having had just that happen to them in Oxford.
- Take care of the basketball. Kentucky has an advantage over every team in this tournament if they take care of the ball.
- Attack in transition and early offense. Ole Miss struggles when teams get into offense quickly, before the defense is fully set. Kentucky must take advantage of this.
Keys to an Ole Miss win:
- Push Kentucky around. Kentucky has not responded well at times when teams start pushing them around and are very physical. The SEC officials have let very physical play go all year, so the Rebels might as well take advantage of that fact.
- Make things difficult on Terrence Jones. For Kentucky to be at their best, Jones needs to be involved offensively. The more Ole Miss can take that away, the better their chances are.
- Attack Josh Harrellson. Ole Miss' big men are more athletic than Harrellson.
- Force UK to give the ball up. That was arguably the biggest team issue that led to the Rebel win in Oxford.
Now, we find out if we have Wildcats for the post season, or Kitty Cats. Ole Miss will physically challenge Kentucky today. How the 'Cats respond will speak volumes about their chances the rest of the post season.