This is the official A Sea of Blue open game thread for the Vanderbilt Commodores @ Kentucky Wildcats basketball game tonight in Rupp Arena. Game particulars as follows, courtesy of UKAthletics.com:
|Vanderbilt @ Kentucky|
|Game Notes||Kentucky Game Notes | Vanderbilt Game Notes|
|Date & Time||Tues. March 1, 9:00 p.m. ET|
|Coverage||TV: ESPN |
Live Video via CBS
|Location||Rupp Arena |
The Wildcats are coming off a big win against the Florida Gators and Vanderbilt is coming off an easy victory versus the LSU Tigers, both on Saturday. This game tonight has major ramifications for the SEC tournament for both teams, as we discussed in the pre-game.
Suffice it to say that both teams have a lot riding on the outcome of this one, and I think we can expect a maximum effort from both the combatants.
Keys to a UK victory:
- Defensive intensity. Vanderbilt can score. Kentucky must defend, and the 'Dores are as tough on offense as the Gators. Kentucky must particularly guard the three, and force Vandy to put the ball on the floor.
- Darius Miller. If Darius Miller can continue his hot play, Vanderbilt will have trouble stopping Kentucky.
- Offensive rebounding. This is Jorts Day, and if Josh Harrellson can have a big game, Kentucky should be in a position to win.
- Play to win. Kentucky sometimes plays not to lose, and at home, particularly. Kentucky needs to play this game to win.
- Attack the basket. Vanderbilt is not a physical team, and a physical, attacking offense will draw some fouls.
Keys to a Vanderbilt win:
- Hot Jenkins. If John Jenkins can get off a bunch of shots, Kentucky has trouble.
- Win the offensive rebounding battle. Kentucky must win or come close in order to win this game.
- Get Terrence Jones into foul trouble. Vandy has both the athletes and the size to do this.
- Minimize turnovers. Kentucky wins this battle on paper, but if Vanderbilt can save some possessions, they have a good chance to outscore Kentucky.
Big game. It's time for the "A" game. May the Rupp Arena magic Calipari has wielded so far be with us.