This is the official A Sea of Blue Open Game Thread for the South Carolina Gamecocks @ Kentucky Wildcats game this afternoon in Rupp Arena. Game particulars as follows, courtesy of UKAthletics.com:
|Game Notes||Kentucky Game Notes | South Carolina Game Notes|
|Date & Time||Sat., Feb. 19, 4:00 p.m. ET|
|Coverage||TV: SEC Network |
Online Video via ESPN3
|Location||Rupp Arena |
The Gamecocks come into Rupp Arena trying to snap a four game losing streak in the SEC. South Carolina has had a tough time on the road this year just like Kentucky has, and has dropped a couple of close games at home to some of the better Eastern division teams.
More after the jump.
Keys to a Kentucky win:
- See #1 above.
- Attack the rim. Kentucky has had great success when they get to the line, and they need to do that today.
- Keep their poise. The Wildcats have not struggled to win at home ... well, much anyway ... all year. This team needs to learn the art of shrugging off runs when they are ahead. They have proven they can come back, but they have to learn to play with the lead.
- Talk. Talk on defense. Talk on offense. Talk us to death, but for the love of Adolph Rupp, communicate!
Keys to a Gamecock win:
- Defeat the 'Cats on the offensive glass. South Carolina is a better offensive rebounding team than Kentucky, and if they can win that stat, they have a chance.
- Make threes. Kentucky gets rattled when opponents start throwing in threes.
- Get the ball to Sam Muldrow. Playing inside-out is something that the Gamecocks should be able to do against Kentucky.
- Get Terrence Jones in foul trouble. Without Jones, Kentucky has trouble finding good looks.
The 'Cats need this game badly, and I expect them to get it. But don't count out the Gamecocks, they are due for a good game.