Almost exactly a month ago, the South Carolina Gamecocks upset the Kentucky Wildcats in Columbia. It was a shock to the system of Kentucky fans, but it was a well-earned victory by South Carolina.
Now, Kentucky has a chance for retribution in Rupp Arena, and it is fairly important for Kentucky to take their opponent seriously and put together a much better effort at home than they did on the road.
Game particulars are as follows:
|Date & Time||Sat., Feb. 25, 9:00 p.m|
|Coverage||TV: ESPN2 |
Live Video via ESPN360
|Location||Rupp Arena |
Kentucky cannot afford to look past the Gamecocks and forward to the game with the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville on Saturday. In case the young 'Cats have forgotten, this is the same team that shocked the nation and defeated them less than 24 hours after the Wildcats were elevated to the nation's #1 team.
More following the jump.
What UK needs to do to win:
- Feed the Beast.
- Force South Carolina to guard the three.
- Demonstrate that the improved defense over the last two games was not a fluke.
- Avoid silly turnovers, and defend this house!
What UK can do to lose:
- Forget that this team, and Devan Downey in particular, is capable of beating them here, just as in Columbia.
- Turn the ball over.
- Lose the offensive rebounding battle again.
- Play passively rather than aggressively.
This is a game that Kentucky should win at home. South Carolina will be tough, and Darrin Horn has had great success against the 'Cats, but that success should end tonight. No excuses. Do the work.