The Indiana Hoosiers invade Rupp Arena today to test their mettle against the Kentucky Wildcats, who are fresh off a semi-home victory over #23 Notre Dame. Game particulars are as follows, courtesy of UKAthletics.com:
|Indiana @ Kentucky|
|Game Notes||Kentucky Game Notes | Indiana Game Notes|
|Date & Time||Sat., Dec. 11, 5:15 p.m. ET|
|Coverage||TV: ESPN |
Live Video via ESPN3
|Location||Rupp Arena |
Rivalry games like this one are always most dangerous for the higher ranked team, and this will be no exception. While Indiana is not as talented as the 'Cats top to bottom, they do have some talented players and are significantly improved from last year's team. But because of a transfer and a bit of bad luck, the Hoosiers are stuck with a small inside team, even smaller than Kentucky.
What I will be watching for:
- Better communication. In my visit to Freedom Hall, I noticed that the Wildcats currently don't really talk to each other. That needs to change.
- Better perimeter defense. The Notre Dame Fighting Irish lit Kentucky up from the arc in the first half. I hope to see the good defense of the second half of the last game extend into this one.
- Less standing around on offense. The last two games, the offense has looked very stilted and inefficient at times.
- More pressure on defense. This may be limited a bit by Kentucky's depth.
- Better ball movement. Last game, I though the ball movement was not as good as it should be with a team with this quality of ballhandlers and passers.
What I hope not to see:
- Poor offensive rebounding. We have been very good at this, but when we have lapsed, we have struggled.
- Josh Harrellson getting in early foul trouble. This team seems to play a lot better with him on the floor.
- Terrence Jones taking a nap before the game. 'Nuff said.
- Poor perimeter defense. Indiana can shoot the ball, and UK needs to remember that.
- Only six players with double-digit minutes. Calipari needs to get these guys a little rest now and then.
We need to win every rivalry game, and we have already lost one. That is enough. Let's get this one.