Going for #20 tonight, folks!
That's right. One year removed from a dismal trip to the NIT, the Kentucky Wildcats are on a 19-game winning streak in an undefeated season. Tonight, they face the South Carolina Gamecocks in Columbia.
Game particulars are as follows, courtesy of UKAthletics.com:
|Date & Time||Tues., Jan 26, 9:00 p.m|
|Coverage||TV: ESPN |
Live Video via ESPN360
|Location||The Colonial Center |
After taking the Arkansas Razorbacks to the woodshed in Rupp Arena, the 'Cats will be looking to avenge the most embarrassing loss of the season last year, a game which will live in infamy around here as long as I am in charge.
More after the jump.
What UK needs to do to win:
- Face-guard Devan Downey, and deny him the ball. Hey, it worked against Rotnei Clarke.
- Avoid turnovers, particularly steals.
- Attack the smaller Gamecocks in the post, where they have no answers.
- Try to win by 100.
What Kentucky must avoid:
- Letting Downey run amok.
- Trusting their superior talent too much. Play like it's the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Empty possessions.
- Fouls, particularly DeMarcus Cousins and Patrick Patterson.
After just reaching a unanimous #1 position, the Wildcats have a lot on the line tonight. Nobody wants to hold on to #1 for only 24 hours or so. Just ask the 2003 Florida Gators, who had just been elevated to the #1 spot prior to this emasculation in Rupp Arena.
Let's take #20 like we took #19.