Yesterday, the football Wildcats had the annual spring game. I know everyone is still excited about basketball, but we do need to take note of the effort of the football team.
Chip Cosby says that Mike Hartline is still the guy for now, but his performance in the Blue/White game has left plenty of doubt about his ability to hold on tho the job. Will Fidler apparently had a very good game, leading the blue squad to a 28-23 victory. Randall Cobb shone brightly in the receiving position for the Blue with 70 yards on four receptions, including one touchdown. Running Back Alfonso Smith led the White squad with 54 yards on 3 catches.
Moncell Allen had a good game for the Blue team, 96 yards on 16 carries (6y/carry). Redshirt freshman walk-on Chosik Williams had a good performance for the Blue as well, gaining 56 yards on 7 carries (8y/carry). Alfonso Smith gained 67 yards on 18 carries for the White (3.7y/carry). You can read more about the game including the box score here.
The game was apparently well-attended, garnering a crowd of over 20,000 people. I'm sure the weather did a lot to increase the crowd size, as did Coach Calipari and Patrick Patterson's presence at the game. But I have no doubt that most of it were Big Blue football fans, and they were treated to an entertaining game with the team showing lots of promise for the 2009 season.
And now, for the rest of the news.
Kentucky Basketball News
- Calipari is all a-Twitter. Heh. I have been watching Coach Cal's tweets. Interesting.
- More complaints about Calipari's salary.
- Brandon Knight, a five-star point guard out of Pinecrest, Florida, likes Calipari and Kentucky.
- Is Calipari grooming a Derrick Rose replacement? [Via True Blue Kentucky.]
- Jodie Meeks was a pretty fair baseball player back in the day.
- Indiana is now recruiting Dominique Ferguson. An interesting test of power between Crean and Calipari.
Kentucky Football News
- Newcomers are nice, but Hartline is the man for now. Once again, we see that Hartline is struggling throwing the ball down field, and Will Fidler closed the gap between he and Hartline significantly. Color me a Hartline skeptic. He has to prove that he can deliver the ball down field, and so far, this year looks remarkably like last year in that regard.
- Matt Jones has more on the Blue/White game.
- Some unlikely Blue/White game headline makers.
- Greg Crews of the Elizabethtown News-Enterprise says the big news out of the Blue/White game is that the offense is not finished being rebuilt.
Other Kentucky Sports News
- So far, UK has split the first two games of the series at Alabama this weekend. The rubber match is today at 3:00 PM.
NCAA Sports News
- Matthew Stafford, former Georgia quarterback, is the #1 pick in the NFL draft, going to the Detroit Lions. Apparently, Stafford has already reached a deal on a contract.
- An interesting Q&A on the Henrys. Seems we were wrong about CJ -- the transfer rule will not keep him out next year.
Other News of Interest
- The Pistons are down 0-3 to Cleveland.