It's time for the Kentucky Wildcats' annual trip down to Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia to take on Dennis Felton's bulldogs. The Cats are -8 points in this game, and that seems about right to me.
There were some serious shakeups in the college basektball world last night. You can read about that the UK-related news of the day after the jump.
Kentucky Basketball News
- This is a great article by Jerry Tipton about Jodie Meeks that clearly shows what a true crapshoot the college recruiting analyst game is. Money quote:
Recruiting analysts dismissed Meeks as a prospect. "Some really top guy said Jodie wouldn't even get a high Division I scholarship," Orestes Meeks said. "I told the guy, 'I'm glad you're not giving out scholarships.' "
- Mark Story says Meeks and Patterson have a new nickname, voted on by Kentucky fans. Pardon me while I roll my eyes a bit -- shouldn't these things be less ... well ... contrived? OK, I'm an old curmudgeon -- so sue me.
- "Big Shot Z" awaits the 'Cats in Athens today. Well, at least that nickname seems kind of original.
- Daugman takes a pessimistic view of the Georgia-UK game:
Kentucky should win easily. They have Patrick Patterson and we don't.Heh. Pragmatic. Succinct. Directly to the point.
Kentucky Football/Other News
- UK football among elite company. Some interesting statistics there.
- Woodson signed with the New York Giants' official roster.
- Shag on Sports has a long blog post recapping the UK football season, the college football season and just a ton of other things.
- Chip Cosby says UK's defense still has a few holes.
- UK Hoops is on a bit of a roll.
- I have a new nickname for John Clay -- Mr. Obvious. He's right, of course, and has some interesting insights into what I have labeled the Gillispie Effect.
- Hoopsworld adds Meeks to their radar.
NCAA Basketball News
- Louisville takes down #1 Pitt. Neither team look like a top five team to me, but there is a lot to be said for winning games when you aren't at your best.
- Florida defeats Arkansas. Neither of these teams looks like it can beat UK anywhere but maybe at home.
- Mississippi State is shaping up to be a real contender, and looks right now like the best in the West after sending the Commodores home with an L yesterday.
- LSU whips hapless Ole Miss.
- The tide has turned against the Tide.
- NCAA Hoops Today calls for the charge-block semi-circle under the basket for college basketball.
- Cal goes down to Stanford. Bittersweet return for Mike Montgomery.
- Wake Forest makes a resounding case for #1 against Clemson.
- Tennessee rebounds against the Gamecocks.
NCAA Football News
- Lane Kiffin is wasting no time making news at Tennessee.
- GarnetandBlackAttack has five points about next year's edition of the Gamecocks.
Other News of Interest
- Bill Doyle makes the case that Rondo is the engine that drives the Celtics' success.
- Sports2Debate does an NBA Mock Draft. Patterson to the Bulls? Interesting.
- NCAA president Miles Brand has pancreatic cancer. My prayers go out to him.