Hello ladies and gentlemans! The start of another collegiate athletic year is upon us and Kentucky fans are looking forward to a football season that has to have one of the oddest excitement-to-expectations ratios in the history of sport. With this in mind it is my great pleasure to bring to you ASoB's first Football Guess the Outcome Game (GOG for short).
A little GOG History
The GOG was originally started at fellow SBN site Athletics Nation for the 2005 baseball season and was run by AN members Alien and Jjjsixsix. A basketball version has run on ASoB in each of the last 4 seasons and last year Wild Weasel took home the crown.
So How Do You Play?
This part is very simple. Each week I will post a list of questions for you to predict the answers to. This will usually occur on the Friday before the game. Just come up with your answers and leave them as a comment. There is a deadline for the answers, which will typically be kick-off for the game in question. Examples of some of previous GOG's are here and here to give you an idea (note that these are basketball GOGs).
Questions will fall under 4 general categories and are scored as follows:
Other question types might appear as I think of them and get a better feel for what works for football.
Football GOG 2013 #00: Preseason Predictions
- How many games does Kentucky win? [4 points; 2 points if within two] 2
- How many SEC games does Kentucky win? [3 points; 1 point if within one] 0
- How are the first points of the season scored: Offensive TD [3 points]; Defensive/Special Teams TD [5 points]; Field Goal [3 points]; Safety [6 points]. Field Goal
- Who has the most starts at quarter back: Jalen Whitlow or Max Smith? [ +/- 1 point] Whitlow
- Who leads the team in rushing yards? [5 points; 3 points if second; 1 point if third] Kemp, Sanders, Whitlow
- Who leads the team in receiving yards? [5 points; 3 points if second; 1 point if third] Blue, Timmons, Badet
- Who leads the team in passing yards? [5 points; 3 points if second; 1 point if third] Smith, Whitlow, Robinson
- What is the single game high for points scored? [4/3/2/1 points] 48
- (Updated for clarity) What is the single game low for points allowed by UK's defense? [4/3/2/1 points] 7
- How many quarters of play does UK score points (not counting overtime)? [4/3/2/1 points] 27
- How many quarters does UK's defense shut out an opponent (not counting overtime)? [4/3/2/1 points] 11
- List in order from most to least the 3 opponents against whom UK scores the most points this year. [1 point each for correct choice; 1 point each for correct placement] Alabama St, Miami (OH), South Carolina
- How many Overtime periods does UK play this year? [4 points; 2 points if within three] 0
- Who wins the SEC East? [4 points; 2 points if second] Missouri, South Carolina
- Who wins the SEC West? [4 points; 2 points if second] Auburn, Alabama
- Who wins the BCS Title game: Alabama or The Field? [+/- 1 point] The Field
- How may SEC teams play in a bowl game? [4 points; 2 points if within one] 10
- Does a non-BCS school play in a BCS game? [+/- 1 point] No
Deadline is kick-off against WKU at 7:00 PM on August 31.