Here we are with the first poll of the 2013 college football season. I'll have some comments on this shortly after it goes up.
Here we go (note: This list is sortable by clicking on the heading):
|2||Ohio St. (3)||12-0||1427||NR|
|6||Texas A&M (1)||11-2||1215||5|
|Schools Dropped Out|
|No. 11 Kansas State (11-2), No. 17 Utah State (11-2), No. 20 Vanderbilt (9-4), No. 21 San Jose State (11-2), No. 22 Cincinnati (10-3), No. 24 Northern Illinois (12-2), No. 25 Tulsa (11-3).|
|Others Receiving Votes|
|Kansas State (11-2) 113; Miami (Fla.) 101; Michigan State 89; Baylor 80; Virginia Tech 65; Fresno State 62; Arizona State 51; Mississippi 32; Vanderbilt (9-4) 29; Utah State (11-2) 23; Brigham Young 20; North Carolina 19; Northern Illinois (12-2) 19; Tulsa (11-3) 9; Ohio 8; San Jose State (11-2) 8; Arizona 5; Cincinnati (10-3) 3; East Carolina 3; Kent State 3; Mississippi State 3; Washington 3; Central Florida 2; Arkansas 1; Arkansas State 1; Rutgers 1; Tennessee 1; Toledo 1.|
- I can't say that I have any argument at all with the top five.
- Louisville at #9 galls me. Maybe they deserve it, though, so I suppose I'll just have to be galled.
- Florida at #10 seems too high to me. I am not sold on Will Muschamp after last year, and seeing his current recruiting.
- Oklahoma St., Texas, and Oklahoma have little to separate them. I actually think that Oklahoma probably deserves to be a spot or two higher.
- Clemson and South Carolina right together. Oh, man, I can't wait for that game, I hope everybody's healthy.
- Florida and FSU within a couple of spots. Mark Stoops' defensive legacy is still being felt.
- Northwestern at #22 is interesting, but they had a great year last year.
- Southern Cal fans are probably not too happy with their placement, but Lane Kiffin hasn't proven a thing.
- Only 6 SEC teams in the poll this year. Makes sense, since Arkansas is on the decline and so is Auburn.
- Is this the highest pre-season ranking for South Carolina in the Spurrier era? Seems to me like it might be.
Enter your comments below. More on this story as it develops.