September 2, 2012; Louisville, KY USA; Kentucky Wildcats quarterback Maxwell Smith (11) tries to throw the ball against the Louisville Cardinals during the second half of play at Papa John's Cardinals Stadium. Louisville defeated Kentucky 32-14. Mandatory Credit: Jamie Rhodes-US PRESSWIRE
Tomorrow evening at 7:30 PM, the Kentucky Wildcats will kick off their second game of the season against the Kent St. Golden Flashes in Commonwealth Stadium. Here are some fundamentals about Kent St.:
|Name||Kent State University|
|Colors||Navy blue and gold|
|Mascot||"Flash" the Golden|
|Conference||Mid-American (MAC) East|
|Head Coach||Darrell Hazell|
|HC record at school||6-7, 2nd season as head coach|
|HC overall record||Same|
|First year of football||1920|
|All-time record||316-506-28/90th season|
|Last bowl||1972 Tangerine|
|2011 record overall||5-7|
|2011 MAC record||4-4/3rd in division|
|Offensive returning starters||9|
|Defensive returning starters||9|
The Golden Flashes defeated their first-game opponent Towson St.Tigers, 42-21.
- Kick returner Dri Archer (Jr.) - Returned 2 kickoffs for 155 yards and a touchdown, and gained 54 yards and 2 touchdowns on 8 carries.
- Eric Adeyemi is now a Golden Flash, and most of you will remember him as a Kentucky Wildcat. He transferred from UK to Kent St. after the 2009 season. He has 6 career starts for Kent St., but is in a reserve role so far this year.
- Tyshon Goode, Kent St.'s leading receiver from last year, injured a hamstring in fall practice and has yet to return. He is doubtful for this game.
- C.J. Malauulu, senior Will linebacker, was the second leading tackler in 2011 and will be all over the field tomorrow.
- Kent St. has a +6 turnover ratio at the moment, leading the nation.
- Kent St. allowed almost as many yards passing (246) as UK did (247) in their first game
- Kentucky is averaging 48 net yards per punt. Kent St., 38
- Kent St. converted only 36% of their third downs against Towson St. UK converted 54% of third downs against Louisville.
- Luke Batton is Kent St.'s leading tackler last year, and along with Malauulu, form a formidable linebacking corps.
- Kent St. has never won a football game against Kentucky in six tries. In fact, Kent St. has never been closer than 18 points to UK.