He turned Tennessee down hard. Their fans where livid this morning on the radio, badmouthing him like crazy - illustrating exactly why no one with any sense is going to take that job. UT's on the death spiral folks.
I mean, honestly, who would want to work with a program that...
- is on probation for NCAA violations
- fired a coach one year after an SEC championship game appearance (Fulmer)
- fired a coach three years after a disastrous hire in Lane Kiffin (no one can say Dooley got a fair shake - no one).
- has a delusional fanbase that will be unhappy with any hire not named John Gruden
- has no backyard talent (like us actually, but they're too stupid to understand what that means).
UT is, at this point, a lost cause. The fan base is dysfunctional. The boosters are running the show (I guarantee Haslam *tried* to give Gruden a share of the Browns - that's the sort of crazy I know that family is capable of). The administration is incompetent. And the NCAA still has the place under a microscope. Of the four jobs that came open in the SEC this year, Tennessee was certainly the most laxluster and most poisonous.
Even though they where 2nd to declare a vacancy, they are no closer to filling it than they where when they did even though all the other jobs are filled. And, given David Hart's penchant for approaching top of the line coaches who no better than to take a career ending job like UT's, it may be January before they find someone crazy enough to do it.
So you might be wondering what this has to do with us? Well, here's to the start of a 27 year streak at their expense. I'd certainly love to see Stoops be undefeated against UT for his entire tenure.