Since my five-month-old daughter was fussy last night, I stayed up to watch Arizona beat Duke. Although 1997 still hurts, there are lots of good reasons to be happy about the Arizona win. Here are my top 10.
10. It's Duke. Do we need a reason?
9. If UK loses in the tournament, it won't be to Duke.
8. It was some measure of justice that, although Duke got to play their first two games in the state of North Carolina (as always), they were in Anaheim to face Arizona, so they essentially had an away game as a #1 seed.
7. Kyle Singler is ugly. He's also a senior. College basketball doesn't have to see him anymore.
6. Family harmony. My brother-in-law is a big fan of the "Other Wildcats". For one night, he and I could cheer for the same team!
5. We got to cheer for a point guard nicknamed "Mo Mo"!
4. "Wildcats Defeat Blue Devils 93-77" still sounds good, even when it's the Arizona Wildcats.
2. If Duke had won the NC, Coach K would have passed Coach Knight for first in all-time coaching wins in the Final Four, followed by a win in the NC game, producing a media love fest with the Rat-Faced One that would have caused a wave of intense nausea across the BBN for months. (Barring the Apocalypse, Coach K will still get the record, but at least it'll probably be against Nobody State sometime next year.)
1. I still hate Christian Laettner.