It may seem too early to celebrate anything, but the Kentucky Wildcats victory over the Florida Gators yesterday was quite enormous. It places the fate of Kentucky's SEC bye firmly in their own hands, and gives the Wildcats a chance to impress the NCAA Selection Committee with a string of victories before the tournament. They will tell you they don't care about that, but they are still human beings, not computers.
Now, for today's links:
Kentucky’s tiebreaking scenarios for SEC Tournament :: John Clay’s Sidelines
Bottom line is simple -- they 'Cats must win out to get a bye in the SEC tournament.
- Kentucky Sports Radio :: Randall Cobb: Winning awards and winning the combine
- Former Cats in the NBA
Bulldogs Blog :: SEC tourney: Breaking down Georgia's scenarios
This looks at the scenarios from a different angle.
- Florida Post Game Interviews
- Don’t judge a team only by its road wins and losses :: Beyond the Arc
- SEC: Vandy and Georgia hold ground; Tennessee falls :: John Clay’s Sidelines
- The UK Nation :: '12 UK Recruit Shabazz Muhammad Has A Temporary Change Of Heart
UK spokesman DeWayne Peevy said the school sought the NCAA's input on how Calipari's win total should be properly designated but had not heard back from the organization as of Saturday.
Interesting. But mostly irrelevant.
"He’s been playing great and just stepping up," Kentucky guard Brandon Knight said. "He’s been aggressive and playing like the Darius Miller we know in practice. He’s been showing it in games and it gives us a lift."
Miller has been playing really well, and I know we all hope that continues.
- Calipari and Miller Have Career Day's in Win Over Florida
- Darius Miller takes Cats to another level - CBSSports.com
- Here We Go...again, Gophers Lose 4th Consecutive Home Game :: The Daily Gopher
- Player (and Coach) notes: Florida edition :: The Kentucky Kernel
- Kentucky Staff to Watch Stan Simpson Monday
"There was a lot of urgency," Knight said. "We know we’re a good team and we’ve had a lot of close losses. We knew as long as we just came out an played hard, we’d be all right."
I think Knight nailed it here.
Florida, Kentucky: No. 22 Kentucky continued its home win streak with a win over No. 13 Florida :: South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
No. 22 Kentucky ended No. 13 Florida's six-game winning streak and extended is home winning streak to 33 games on Saturday.
Kentucky fan not happy with Florida fans in good seats :: John Clay’s Sidelines
Would you like some cheese with that whine?
- Miller, Cats impress Billy Donovan :: Vaught's Views
Lamb, usually the last player to shootaround, impressed Calipari by showing up early to Rupp to be the first player on the floor for shootaround.
Not sure why I find that amusing, but I do.
"Josh had 12 rebounds. How about him?" Kentucky coach John Calipari said after the game. "He just went after every ball."
Saying this is just weird, but I wish we had Harrellson for another year.
As part of the penalties against Calipari’s Memphis team of 2007-08, the NCAA ordered the team’s 38 victories from that season to be stricken from the record.
I link this just because I know so many of you will want to mock the implicit negativism.
- CoachCal.com :: Post Game Mash-Up: Florida
Westphal Benches DeMarcus Cousins for Most of Quarter
This is becoming an adversarial relationship that isn't good for either the player or the coach.