Examining the AP and Coaches poll. (via hlkljgk)
Yesterday's AP and Coaches polls had few surprises, but that's to be expected at this time of year when teams are cleaning up the last of their out-of-conference schedule. By now, most teams have played their marquee games for their non-con and are preparing for the grind of league play.
Two notable, but by no means exclusive, exceptions are the Louisville Cardinals and Kentucky Wildcats. Louisville has two very challenging games this week, one Big East contest at home in the Chicken Ranch and then, of course, the annual clash with Kentucky in Rupp Arena. No wonder Traitor Rick is so snappish these days.
After the jump, I have consolidated the AP and Coaches poll, and prepared an analysis for your edification.
|AP Poll||Coaches Poll||Schedule Strength|
|2||2||0||2||2||0||Ohio State||12||1||1507||5||0.5135||132||0.6290||14||Big Ten|
|16||19||3||17||20||3||Michigan State||11||2||613||0||0.5620||47||0.6584||1||Big Ten|
|20||22||2||21||22||1||Murray State||13||0||342||0||0.5040||151||0.4263||280||Ohio Valley|
|25||New||New||Unr||Unr||-||San Diego State||11||2||119||0||0.5032||153||0.5649||83||Mountain West|
|Unr||Unr||-||25||New||New||Kansas St||10||1||45||0||0.5297||96||0.6093||30||Big 12|
Here are my comments about the teams highlighted above:
- Syracuse will not be tested again until January 7th vs. Marquette.
- Ohio St. faces Indiana in Bloomington on Saturday. Big test for both teams.
- Louisville faces the Georgetown Hoyas on Wednesday and Kentucky on Saturday. If they are as overranked as I think, it will surely show up this week. Otherwise, you have to hand it to them.
- Two words for having Duke ranked ahead of the North Carolina Tar Heels: In. Sane. Okay, that's one word, but you get the idea.
- The Baylor Bears are still unconvincing at this level, but they have a chance to change my mind versus Mississippi St. on Wednesday.
- Jim Calhoun's fib to the NCAA finally comes home to roost, and he will be forced to sit out arguably the easiest three-game stretch in UConn's remaining season.
- Cupcake schedule for Indiana so far turns into a murderer's row starting on Wednesday.
- Will Marquette be responsible for lifting up two SEC teams? They play Vanderbilt on Thursday.
- The Kansas Jayhawks were overranked at 11. This is about right for them.
- Michigan gets one more cupcake, and then it gets difficult.
- Pittsburgh loss to Wagner looks like a bad omen for Big East play to me.
Poll analysis by conference:
|Data||ACC||Big 12||Big East||Big Ten||Ivy League||Missouri Valley||Mountain West||Ohio Valley||SEC|
|Count - Conference||3||4||6||5||1||1||2||1||3|
|Average - SOS||0.54||0.52||0.54||0.51||0.49||0.53||0.53||0.50||0.50|
|Average - Proj||0.59||0.61||0.63||0.63||0.47||0.56||0.58||0.43||0.58|
|Average - Wins||10.33||10.50||11.17||11.20||10.00||10.00||12.00||13.00||11.00|
|Average - Losses||1.33||1.00||0.83||1.40||1.00||1.00||2.00||0.00||1.33|
- The Big East continues to lead the way with six ranked teams between the two polls.The Big Ten is a close second with five, and the Big 12 has four to lead the top three.
- The Pac-12 is the only BCS conference not represented in the poll at all. How far have they fallen, collectively?
- The SEC has the weakest average strength of schedule of all the BCS conferences in the poll.