Do you hear that sound, Big Blue Nation? That is the sound of ... inevitability. It is the sound of the ascension of your Wildcats to the top of the NCAA basketball polls.
And a sweet sound it is.
I think most Wildcat fans will agree that Kentucky played its best basketball of the season yesterday so far, and the Arkansas Razorbacks were the unfortunate opponent against which the young 'Cats decided to demonstrate how good this team can be when they really exert themselves for 20+ minutes. I say 20+ minutes and not 40, because UK achieved such a dominant position (note the game flow chart) that they took their foot off the gas for the last 12 minutes or so of the game.
With the defeat of former #1Texas Longhorns for the second straight game, Kentucky can see exactly how tough life can be on the road, and the Wildcats go back on the road Tuesday against a tough South Carolina Gamecocks team that lost a heartbreaker yesterday in Gainesville versus the Florida Gators.
The news follows the jump.
Best player in college basketball? Our panel says Kentucky's John Wall - AnnArbor.com
Well, we will be seeing a lot of this now.
- Wayne Turner has a couple of podcasts here at Lost Letterman talking about his return to UK to complete his degree, and beating Duke in 1998.
SB Nation's College Basketball Power 16: Order Restored In The Bluegrass State - SB Nation
- Phillips knows Summers, Turner can help recruiting | Vaught's Views
UK gymnastics gives season's best in losing effort | KentuckySports.com
The Gym 'Cats are strong this year.
Ex-Wildcat Miller pleads not guilty | KentuckySports.com
Sad story from a player that helped resurrect this program.
Legislators swoon over Calipari | KentuckySports.com
As Calipari said earlier, this is the Commonwealth's team.
Packing them in | KentuckySports.com
Surprising ... Nobody!
SEC excites UK women's coach | KentuckySports.com
This hoops team is the best we've had in a while.
- No. 2 Kentucky tunes up for top ranking by rolling past Razorbacks, 101-70 - latimes.com
Calipari, Kentucky look to be top cats - The Boston GlobeRupp Arena has become a maelstrom for opponents this year. It's nice to see the place starting to return to form.
"They have a chance to be the best team in college basketball this year,’’ said Pelphrey, who has lost all three meetings against his alma mater as an opposing coach.
Forde: Kentucky happy to welcome back that No. 1 feeling - ESPNLove from Pat Forde that I know you've all been waiting for? Don't be fooled. He says Kentucky hasn't beaten anybody.
Unless we have a ballot-rigging that would horrify even Chicago politicians, the Wildcats will be No. 1 Monday when the new Top 25 polls are released. The last unbeaten team in America made that clear by humiliating Arkansas 101-70 in a game that wasn't quite as close as the Little Bighorn score.
- Kentucky basketball routs Arkansas 101-70 en route to likely No. 1 ranking | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal
- Arkansas Runs Into Kentucky ‘Buzz saw’ | Arkansas News
- Give to charity, get a T-shirt - Latest News - Kentucky.com
- Vaught's Views: Cats looked like the nation's top team against Arkansas: AMNews.com
- Louisville Mojo: Come Monday, it'll be Alright
- Meyer's Mailbag: Another top class for UK?
- C-USA haunted by the ghost of John Calipari
- Wildcat Blue In a Sea of Orange: Calipari, Cats talk about Arkansas win and on being number #1
courier-journal.com | Chris Diggs - UK Fan | The Courier-JournalIndeed.
As a Kentucky fan, as sweet as this win in and what it means for this team, you hate to see one of your greats on the other side taking the drumming. John Pelphrey is a heck of a coach but unfortunately, was literally beat down from tip to horn.
- #1 never felt so good : Kentucky Registrar