The Kentucky Wildcats got off to a great start yesterday, blanking the Miami (OH) Redhawks 42-0 at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. A few points before we get to the news:
- Yes, I know it was Miami, and yes, I know they are not strong this year. But this version of Kentucky seems to pass the look test.
- The defense really played well from the second quarter on, and the offense did also. This is different. Usually, one squad plays well when the other plays bad, etc.
- Chris Matthews is going to be a stud at UK.
- Derrick Locke is a profile in courage and determination.
- What can anyone say about Randall Cobb that hasn't been said already?
- I really liked Hartline's poise and decision-making.
- I hope to see improvement from our defensive ends.
I am heading out to Las Vegas today for a short holiday, so I'll be blogging from Sin City for a few days. Now, for the news:
Shades Of 2005 OU Drops Season Opener - Crimson And Cream Machine
With a 14-13 defeat at the hands of BYU Oklahoma lost more than just a season opener Saturday night. The Cougars, a team thought to be slower and athletically inferior, took Oklahoma’s manhood. Ouch.
- Virginia Tech Postgame Thoughts - Roll 'Bama Roll
Ohio State Struggles - Is it the End of the World? - The Rivalry, Esq.
Should Columbus be concerned? Yes. But this afternoon's performance isn't the end of the world. Here's a bullet point summary of what I saw from the South Stands.
- Cats really do have playmakers
UK Basketball News
- Danny Jett's Inner Circle: The Immortals: UK's 25 'Legends' #7
Rivals.com College Basketball - Which coach wuld be the best to play for?
I'm a bit surprised King would pick Coach Cal.
UK Football News
Locke ecstatic to be back on the field for UK
"I felt good. I felt blessed," Locke said. "They told me I probably would never play again. To cross the end zone and be out there with my boys playing, it's really touching."
Wow. I knew his injury was serious, but I didn't know it was that serious. I was afraid that Davis was out for the rest of the year. That injury really looked bad when it happened. I'm sorry to hear that he is out for the year, though, he played really well.
State-Journal.com - UK quarterback Hartline lives up to preseason billing in season-opening rout
The difference in Kentucky from last year to this year is dramatic. Granted, Miami is not a good team at this point, but some bad teams made Kentucky sweat a year ago, so this victory shows a lot. Especially with Hartline, who lived up to Coach Rich Brooks’ lofty preseason billing. I'd agree with this assessment.
RedHawks thumped by Wildcats
"Hartline played with poise, threw the ball well, didn’t have a lot of bad plays," Brooks said.
- Kentucky-Miami (OH)-Postgame recap
BOZICH: After 1st game, Wildcats are thinking 2-0
This was a good start. The confidence should begin to build. If we can just stay healthy.
Other UK Sports News
- None today
NCAA Sports News
Oklahoma State defense stymies Georgia
Tough season opener for both teams. Props to Georgia for the tough OOC, but can they come back strong from this next week?
Topics for Discussion // 09.06.09 - Team Speed Kills
A few questions about the weekend in SEC football.
- A Nice Start: Arkansas 48, Missouri State 10 - Arkansas Expats
Mississippi State Bulldogs v. Jackson State Tigers Post Game Recap - For Whom the Cowbell Tolls
The Dan Mullen Era at Mississippi State got started with a bang as the Bulldogs captured their first win of the 2009 season over the Jackson State Tigers.
Paulus'd: Syracuse Loses A Heartbreaker To Minnesota 23-20 In Overtime - Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician
Syracuse loses a tough one. Greg Paulus shows promise but makes a bad decision when it matters most.
Tennessee Volunteers v. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers: immediate post-game ramblings - Rocky Top Talk
An instant, timed, and unedited reaction to the Tennessee Volunteers' 63-7 victory Saturday over the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers.
- SEC helmet stickers: Week 1 - College Football Nation - ESPN
- CardinalSports.com - Cards win 30-10 over Indiana State
Other News of Interest
The Daily Schadenfreude
Eric Crawford: Cards need to do better than this – and fast | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal
On the first Saturday of the season, the Cardinals did not play well enough to beat anybody else they will face this season. Ouch.