The big news of the morning is that 6'7" JUCO Darnell Dodson has accepted a scholarship offer to the University of Kentucky. This comes as no real surprise as Dodson was known to have requested his release from Memphis and there were many rumors out there that he would follow Calipari to Kentucky. Dodson will have three years of eligibility and is rated a 4* small forward by Rivals.com.
Dodson is just the kind of long swing player that you might expect Billy Gillispie to have signed. Originally a Rivals 3* prospect out of high school and ranked #124 in the class of 2007, Dodson signed with Pittsburgh out of high school by coach Jamie Dixon but left after he could not be cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse and went to Miami Dade Community College.
According to ESPN, Dodson is a good outside shooter with range to 22 feet, who can also slash to the basket. ESPN ranks him at a 95, which they call an "immediate impact prospect."
Now, for the news.
Kentucky Basketball News
- I don't know if this guy knows what he is talking about, but if he does, this is big news. Donovan a "yeller and a screamer?" Has Calipari truly "laid the college hoops landscape bare" for John Wall? The Wall watch (isn't that kind of like the door watch?) continues ...
- Big Blue Links from John Clay.
- Calipari recently visited Eric Bledsoe.
- [UPDATE 1] Jodie Meeks to throw out the first pitch next Tuesday for the 'Cats vs. the Cards.
- [UPDATE 1] Matt Jones has a John Wall update.
Kentucky Football News
- Football is in the air.
- Lumpkin part of the plan tho fill Pryor's gap. There is no question that Lumpkin is capable, if he can just stay healthy.
- Next year's NFL draft should include more 'Cats. Indeed, and maybe even an early draft pick or two.
- Follow Coach Cal on Twitter, if you're into that sort of thing.
Other Kentucky Sports News
- UK Tennis defeats Arkansas in the first round of the SEC tennis tournament.
[UPDATE 1] The Crimson Tide hosts the Bat Cats this weekend. Kentucky really needs this series in the worst way.
NCAA Sports News
- Will Jeremy Tyler's jump from high school junior to European pro start an "unsafe" trend? Eric Crawford thinks so. Sonny Vaccaro may be a marketing genius, but he is no friend to the kids he catches in his web.
- [UPDATE 1] Ater Majok (remember him?) has declared for the NBA draft, despite not playing even a minute at UConn. Apparently, Majok is the subject of at least one NCAA incident that could affect his eligibility to play in college.
[UPDATE 1] Players in the SEC who have declared themselves eligible for the draft. Hopefully, most come back.
Other News of Interest
- General Quarters looks perfect for the Kentucky Derby. The back-story behind this horse is really fascinating.